Monday, August 9, 2010

you'll want to keep eating reading

I say this because I have a day's worth of glorious eats and TWO recipes for you tonight!

Remember last night how I said I was enjoying the chocolate almond butter while writing? Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this made me sick. I had a horrible stomachache for the rest of the night, and it just didn't go over so well.

you were delicious.. except my tummy didn't like you
 I'm kind of wary of saying this because I don't want to admit it, but I think chocolate is giving my stomach problems lately. I am thinking back tot he last couple of times when I made my chocolate protein muffins and the same thing happened then as well. Now that I'm aware, I'll have to test out my theory... but will be really upset if chocolate is the culprit. Digestable or not, the snack bowl below totally rocked my world last night.

1/2 organic pink lady, cherries, raisins, cashews, chocolate almond butter, and a tiny sliver of a pb&j larabar
 I just want everything at night... so I make it happen!

I roused myself out of bed this morning at the lovely hour of 6:30. I tried to get out of bed to make the husband breakfast today, but he wouldn't let me. Moreover, I fell back asleep for a good hour. It felt good.

Today was another beautiful vegan overnight oats parfait with cherries and blueberries as the layers. I am really excited because I got another pound of blueberries at the store today for $2.88! I wasn't out yet, but I figured I HAD to take advantage of the deal.

i know you're jealous of my breakfast, but we can still be friends.

Want to get closer?

you're right.. that's not close enough.

How about this close?

oh yes.. much better
 I did a lot of busywork today, including but not limited to:

  • throwing away my bridal bouquet - some may call me heartless, but i will just tell them i'll look at the pictures to remember what they looked like.

  • measure my windows for roman shades with the help of my interior designer bestie
  • finish up the most laundry I've ever done in my life
  • run 4.5 miles in 40 minutes (what's up 8:50 pace!!)
  • make the most delicious guacamole I've ever consumed.. EVER!

1/2 avocado smashed, 4-5 chopped grape tomatoes, 1/8 cup chopped red onion, salt and pepper to taste


I had that guacamole for lunch atop a romaine salad with mushrooms and salsa. I also ate a pink lady (an apple, not a person) but the picture was too blurry and embarassing to even post it.

I got some new hummus at the store today! I am all out of my regular hummus (::tear::), so I figured this would suffice for the time being. I got roasted garlic and the original variety.


Verdict is it is very good, but I still like my guy better. I HAVE to get to Costco soon!

I gave the husband two choices this evening: spaghetti or chicken. He chose spaghetti with chicken. He and I have the same problem apparently... we just can't choose! So, I set off to make him an easy marinara loaded with great veggies.

Marinara Madness

What you'll need:
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 zucchini, cut in small chunks
  • 5 cloves (yes, 5!) garlic, 3 chopped, 2 in chunks
  • 2 cans (15 oz) organic diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • handful fresh basil
  • salt, pepper, oregano, granulated garlic
How it's done:

Start by heating a dutch oven to medium high heat. Before you do this, coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.

While this is heating, chop your veggies to your desired consistencies - I like a chunkier sauce, so my vegetables weren't as small.

Dump the onion, garlic, and zucchini into the dutch oven and cook until tender and translucent.


While your veggies are cooking, chop your fresh basil into small pieces. If you don't have fresh basil, dried basil is also acceptable.

doesn't this just scream "summer"!?
Add in your two cans of diced tomatoes and spices once vegetables are tender.


Let the sauce simmer for 45 min - 1 hour. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors blend together!


To be honest with you, when it comes to spices I couldn't tell you whether I added 1/8 tsp or 2 tbsps. of a particular spice. I spice to taste, so it never comes out the same. I apologize if you are a strict recipe follower, but that's just not how I roll.

This sauce was enough for the husband and I (I use a lot!), so if you are feeding more than 2 people, you may want to double the recipe!

I wasn't feeling spaghetti tonight. I don't know why, but I just didn't want it. The husband is more than happy to indulge in brown rice pasta with me, but I let him enjoy his wheat laden pasta tonight for once. I got to work on a concoction inspired by Angela's Speed it Up Spinach and Chickpeas.

In a pot went the following:
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • handful mushrooms
  • handful chopped basil
  • 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2-1 cup Marinara Madness (above)
  • 1 tbsp gluten free flour (to thicken it all up)


I let it all hang out for 15 minutes or so, and was served up this delicious bowl!


I'm not going to lie, I could have eaten it all by myself, but I reminded myself how much I enjoy my evening snack. All of the flavors blended together so well. It was a clean and light mix - I didn't feel weighed down at all when I was done eating. This is definitely a keeper in my books!


Now it is time to go find said snack and catch up with you all! I am ready to relax, how about you?

Question: Do you cook more than one dinner in your household or do you make one meal and let others "deal with it"? For me, I don't mind cooking more than one thing. I would never force anyone to eat something they wouldn't enjoy. I also didn't feel like I spent a lot of time modifying my meal to fit my needs.

Question #2: Who out there is going to Healthy Living Summit this weekend? I am going for the day on Saturday, and I couldn't be more excited! I'm looking forward to meeting some of my bloggers!

18 comments:

  1. Haha I'm the same way with spices. I end up just dashing it in there until it looks/smells right, and each time I make the recipe it ends up being a different amount of spice. I feel kind of bad for not being able to share the exact recipe with readers, but everyone's tastes are different anyways... so I just say spice to taste ;)

    Me and my family eat completely different diets, so I don't really do much cooking for anyone but myself. I wouldn't mind cooking multiple dishes, but not more than a few times a week. I don't like to spend THAT much time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the exact same thing with cooking -- my measurements tend to be "a pinch of this" (taste) to be tinkered with according to my palate. :D

    Your pasta sauce looks delicious!

    I cook two dinners -- something for the fella, and something for me. He works late hours and comes home hungry, so I have something ready for him when he walks in the door. He won't touch what I eat, and I won't touch what he eats, so I inevitably make an additional dinner for myself. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA you are the recipe QUEEN!!
    I want like- everything at night too!! hahah but my quantities are a TAD BIGGER than that! but im just a night snacker. thats how i roll!!
    everything looks delish!

    I cook for my parents!! they love it!! theyre gona go out to eat like every night when i go back to school prob! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me sad to think you may have issues with eating chocolate. Seriously. That's just awful! :(

    And I'll be at HLS on Saturday!! :) I wanna see your wedding bling! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me sad that chocolate almond butter might be making you sick.....it's sooo so good! The guac looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I JUST read the comment above mine....we said practicaly the same thing about the AB. Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the recipe! i've been looking for ways to eat more protein (a la beans.) my husband and i usually like to eat different things (well, always) but i try to compromise and make something we'll both enjoy. (less dishes.) have a great time at HLS! jealous that it isn't on my side of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum, that guac looks so good! The chickpea dish looks delicious as well :)

    I usually cook for more than one person and I try to take everyone's taste preferences into account.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm I would love to try that chocolate almond butter! I'm sorry it made your belly hurt :( And your guac looks sooo good. I actually have an avocado at home so I should try your recipe! So lucky that you go to the Healthy Living Summit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi chelsey! I've been reading your blog for a while now and am so excited to meet you at HLS, I love your blog! Congrats on being a newlywed :) my hubby and I got married when we were 20 so we've been married about 3 years now. Every year gets better :) were in nw suburbs of chi. See u soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a total of 3 roommates and we used to each choose one night to cook but we eventually had to ditch that idea because we didn't really agree on food likes/dislikes. My mom is a real trooper for putting up with my dad, my sister and I because we're all very picky but she manages to please us all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh I wish I was going to HLS! And I love chickpeas so that recipe looks awesome. I just bought that Justin's choco squeeze pack! So sorry it upset your tum!! Hopefully my tummy will appreciate mine haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's actually a good thing you got rid of your flowers...i read in my feng shui book..that ..."decorating with dried flowers sends yin energy that can adversly affect your love life."..so your good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an extremely sweet and generous wife for cooking two meals!
    CK will typically eat whatever I give him, he even confessed to me that he likes tofu! However, if its meat he craves, he'll act like a caveman and bbq it himself ;)
    Keeping my fingers crossed that chocolate isn't at the bottom of your digestion problems!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoever is cooking in our house makes one meal, and then we both eat the same thing. Once in a while my boyfriend will want to add meat to the dish he's made, so he'll put some aside for me while it's vegetarian.

    I had a ticket to the Summit, but didn't think I could afford a trip to Chicago, so unfortunately, I gave it up. Maybe next year though...

    Hope your stomach's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh the chickpea dish looks yummy! And that stinks about your stomach being sensitive to chocolate...I don't think I could deal with that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We always just share 1 meal but there's just 2 of us so it's pretty easy to make adjustments to what we each like/don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. are you gonna survive without chocolate!! awee haha, at least u can substitute with carob right?

    sorry for the tummy ache! i know that some people definitely dont do good with chocolate especially the caffeine and certain minerals in it that irritate the tum tum :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete