Saturday, August 7, 2010

slow cooker mexican stoup

I'm glad you all liked the honeymoon recap! Thanks for all of the nice comments about the husband and I - I really appreciate it!

The past few days have been crazy busy, but I am enjoying getting back to my normal eating habits. My body has kind of been in a vegetable shock, but I know it's going to be getting back to normal any day now.

My days have been full of overnight oats:


served in awesomely cool margarita glasses from here. They could have been one of my favorite actual presents from the wedding.


Coffee may have been consumed in a cup from Cancun...

the husband told me today i like my coffee too strong - meh.
Many salads have been eaten - including avocado and salsa (it's hard to get out of mexican mode)


I missed my hummus as well...


My afternoon snacks have been all over the place - I have been a grazer...



Another bowl of overnight oats was consumed this morning - this bowl was so pretty.. and pretty delicious too might I add!



 After breakfast, I had to run some errands and do some laundry (at the parent's house because we thought ours was broken), so to kill time I ran to the gym, lifted, and ran home. My legs hurt really bad because I ran yesterday as well... and I hadn't run for over a week. Whoops!

I was over at my parent's house for lunch today and my mom made me some veggies and rice - they were really good, but I was super hungry because of my workout. They are unpictured because I'm a horrible blogger and was too hungry to even say hello to mommasita.

When I got home, I was still hungry so I decided I would eat some crackers, carrots, and hummus.

try this... x like 5
 I may or may not have finished off this tub of hummus.

I may or may not have also swirled my finger around in the tub to make sure I got it all.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... don't judge me. :)

quite possibly the best hummus ever

I wanted to make something easy today because I was also making a coffee cake for tomorrow morning (recipe to come!), so I decided to go with the slow cooker!

Slow Cooker Mexican Stoup

What you'll need:
  • slow cooker
  • 2 cans beans (I used black)
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can drained
  • 1 zucchini, cut into large chunks
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • spices: pepper, salt, garlic, crushed red pepper, chili powder
  • avocado or meat of your choice to go on top
How it's done:
  1. Put everything in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
Seriously.. it's that easy! It was delicious too!

brand new baby slow cooker

simple ingredients at their best

chopped zucchini

chicken for the husband

avocado for me!

delicious




This was really filling and I will definitely be making it again. We have some left overs, so I'm sure it could feed four people comfortably. This was inspired by Kath as I remembered a recipe she made kind of like this!

It's been nothing less than busy around here, and I have to go get some things done. Off to do laundry! Oh the joys of marriage... :)

I'll be honest... I don't have a question for you all today. My brain is in a fog.

Until tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not judging you about the hummus because I may do the same thing.. and I may also sometimes stick my face in there to lick it clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to learn how to use my slow cooker... I complain about having to spend way too much time in the kitchen sometimes, but I refuse to make things easier on myself. Make sense? I didn't think so either...

    Ooo and avocado and salsa are like the best things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! Your wedding looked amazing and you and the hubs looked so amazing! Your dress was gorgeous and so were you. So glad everything went well. Your honeymoon also looked like so much fun! Glad to have you back in the bloggie world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked out your wedding + honeymoon recaps. You looked amazing! Congrats to you :) Such an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oats are good anytime of the day, and so are hummus! i can eat my weight in hummus and still not get sick of it!

    sorry i'm kind of behind on reading blogs, but your honeymoon sounded awesome! so many pretty sights and yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed hummus so much when I was on vaca last week it was the only thing I wanted ha ha. I've been meaning to try something like that stoup after seeing Kath's version too!!

    ReplyDelete