Sunday, June 27, 2010

vegan blueberry oatmeal muffins

I woke up with one thing on my mind today - blueberry muffins! I had bought a huge container of blueberries last weekend and I wanted to use them all up before they went bad on me. I got out of bed at 6:30 and got to work! There's something that I love about working in the kitchen early in the morning before anyone else gets up for the day. It's quiet, clean, and I can just be by myself. I also have a love for Sunday mornings - I love getting the newspaper and getting all the coupons and ads out! It has become quite the tradition.

Whenever I make something, I always look at a bunch of recipes, mix them together, and change them to meet my dietary needs. So I wish I could direct you to a recipe I followed, but I really don't follow recipes for the most part.

These are vegan and gluten free! They are also very very delicious!

Over-the-Top Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins (V, GF)

What you'll need:
  • 1.25 cups gluten free oats (regular oats would also work just fine)
  • 1 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 tbsp baking soda (you could also use 1 tbsp baking powder, but I cannot due to corn starch)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar (or any sugar/sweetener of your choice)
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries

How it's done:

  1. Mix the flour, flax seed, oats, and baking soda together in a large bowl
  2. Mix the almond milk, applesauce, vanilla, and agave nectar together in another separate bowl
  3. Slowly stir the wet and dry ingredients together until they are well blended
  4. Fold in the fresh blueberries
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees

These were so simple to make! My family said they weren't as sweet as they normally like muffins to be, so if you like things on the sweeter side, I would reccomend adding more agave to the mix. I, however, do not really eat sugar, so sweets send me through the roof!


doesn't it look good?
My breakfast consisted of one muffin, a pink lady apple, and about 1.5 tbsp peanut butter.

I then went to church and came home and enjoyed another muffin and some crackers with hummus! My mom and I went grocery shopping - I swear we have a problem buying food. We always say we "don't really need much" but come home with way too many bags! I just love food too much. We went to Trader Joe's, Costco, and Jewel! Yes, we are multiple grocery store kind of people.
When we came home I made us a quick snack plate as it was almost already 2 pm.

That plate looks really small, but it's actually a huge dinner plate! Spinach salad, steamed broccoli, baby carrots, and a banana on the side!
After we ate, I went over to FH's for a bit to partake in some very exciting work (think bills and check writing), and then we went out for a treat! We went to go see Toy Story 3!



My favorite is Rex - Which character is your favorite?
This movie was beyond great. Does it seem weird that a movie about toys made me cry? I love the Pixar animated movies. They are great for kids, but the humor in it is definitely geared towards adults. If you loved the first two movies, you definitely need to go see the third one. We went and saw it in 3-D, but to be perfectly honest with you, it wasn't worth the money. I might be biased because I really am not a fan of 3-D as it gives me massive headaches. But, there was nothing really "3-D"'ish about the movie. It's just more "enhanced".

When I got home, it was way past my dinner time. I am not someone you want to be around when I am hungry. From the time I was really little, if I was tired or hungry, I was super crabby. There is nothing I hate more than the feeling of being hungry. I become snappy, impatient, and can't think of anything else! Needless to say, I needed something quick and simple to get me through round one of dinner. I threw together some sauteed veggies and brown rice - almost the same combo as Friday night. I did throw some grape tomatoes into the mix this time instead of the stewed tomatoes.
The flavors were awesome. I am loving my basil plant - it has gotten so big! I have to take an updated picture tomorrow. The grape tomatoes were a great idea - they popped in my mouth and were all warm and liquidy. Absolutely perfect!
I hope you all have had a great weekend - it's time for me to get my snack on though and catch up with you all!

Question: What is your disposition like when you are hungry? Are you able to work past it or are you a total crab monster (like me)?



8 comments:

  1. I loved the first two Toy Story movies. I bet that one would be great.
    Your muffins look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loove blueberry muffins, I bet they would be great smothered in nut butter! And I absolutely loved Toy Story 3, I might even go see it again later this week but in 3D this time. And when I'm hungry, do NOT mess with me! It isn't pretty! =P

    Also, thank you for the tip for not waking up starving! I actually just downed a spoonful of almond butter, so hopefully I can sleep through the night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way about being hungry. I find it weird when people who are starving at 5pm can go until 10pm before they finally eat dinner. I get soo irritable if I don't eat when I am hungry.

    Those muffins look delish! I may have to make those...I have all the ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @theemptynutjar I am so glad to have heard from you! You have been in my thoughts all day! The muffins were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooove blueberry muffins...this recipe looks delish!

    I want to see Toy Story 3...I've heard awesome things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I just found your blog and love it. Those muffins look great!
    I get sooo irritable when I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. apples plus peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks!! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete