Saturday, June 26, 2010

stubborn or deaf?

That, my friends, is what my family and I have been trying to figure out for the past 11 years about my furry family member.

Meet Chagall. Chagall is a Bouvier des Flandres - not a very common dog. He is kind, loving, and we have never heard him growl all 11 years of his life. Chagall is somewhat of a pushover. He lets little dogs run all of him, and he is unaware of how big he actually is. He constantly gets in your way, then proceeds to look at you with a dumbfounded look on his face saying: "What! You're the one who ran into me!" Chagall also smells - ALOT. Chagall has allergies, causing him to constantly be scratching at his skin. Chagall and I bonded when I found out I was gluten intolerant because it just so happens that my doggie, Chagall, is allergic to wheat. He even has special "Buddy Biscuits", which are wheat free.

Chagall is a dog after my own heart. He has one obsession in life: apples.

Yes, my friends, my dog loves to eat apples.

laying at my feet

really wanting a piece of this juicy treat

sitting like a good boy (never mind my laundry in the background)
This is where this dog's stubbornness comes into play. Chagall never listens - to anyone. "Sit Chagall" "Go lay down Chagall" "Leave it Chagall!" are phrases I am very familiar with when it comes to this dog. He never listens. For a while, I thought Chagall just couldn't hear because he's getting so old. It turns out... he is just the most stubborn dog in the world.
How do I know this you ask? Chagall can hear the crunch of an apple on the other side of the house - he can hear the crunch of an apple through the floors. No - I am not joking. Before these pictures were taken, Chagall was happily sleeping in the family room. I went into the kitchen, grabbed an apple, and came up to my room. I took one bite of that baby and Chagall was up those stairs in 3 seconds flat (he doesn't let his arthritis get in the way of his apples!). You see now why this shows Chagall is just stubborn, not deaf.
I rest my case. Question: Does your pet have any weird qualities?


I have two options next. One, I could bore you with my rather dull eats today. Two, I can just share with you the best dessert I have eaten in a long, long time.
Most would agree with me when I share with them I am gluten intolerant, corn intolerant, lactose intolerant and stay away from highly processed foods or refined sugars that I would have a difficult time finding things to eat.
Good god of all that is holy, I had the best dessert ever. If you want to be as happy as I am right now, please follow these steps in a quick and orderly manner:
  1. Make one of April's protein muffins (chocolate will work best). If you are vegan, replace the egg white with one half of a flax egg - otherwise it will get too liquidy.
  2. Place said protein muffin at the bottom of a very large bowl - crumbling the muffin first will make this dessert even more decadent
  3. Place your favorite ice cream over the protein muffin - I used Decadent Vanilla Bean - I usually do not eat ice cream out of a carton, but the stats on this are awesome. There is a bit of added sugar from agave - but nothing refined, nothing bad for you.
  4. Enjoy the dessert of your dreams!
I know, right?
This dessert packed a punch! I'm not really a calorie counter, but for those of you that are, this was about 250 calories, but with 11 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber! Holy cow (or coconut for that matter)!
This was rich, satisfying, and made me feel so happy. What's your favorite dessert?

3 comments:

  1. I don't own pets, but I definitely know through two weeks of dogsitting how stubborn they can be!

    My favorite dessert of all time is just the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Simple and classic... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chagall is adorable! It's so funny he likes apples because my dog (a Golden Retriever) will not TOUCH a fruit or veggie!
    Hmm favorite dessert.. probably my mom's homemade carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Megan D I love golden retrievers!! And Carrot Cake!!!

    ReplyDelete